05 April 2014

Creating the perfect dc circle....

A promised tutorial for someone on FACEBOOK....
DK, 4mm hook, US Terms
 
Creating the perfect dc circle
I have done it in quick pic tutorial style so for those who are new to crochet and learning you can copy and print, or just copy to you computer for reference.

FORGOT TO SAY IF YOU CLICK ON THE PICTURES THEY SHOULD COME UP BIGGER SO YOU CAN READ THE INFO
 

 Some yarns and depending on your own tension, at some point usually around rows 5 or 6 the circle will stat to become angular....all you need to do to keep it circular is the stagger the 2dc increase back and forth so that it isn't in the same place for each row....
 
or eventually it will stop being a circle and become a twelve sided shape called a dodecagon

 
 
 
CIRCLE WITH A CENTRE HOLE...
 
 Similar principles apply to a circle with a hole in the centre...start with 16dc into the magic circle and the double it for the next round, and then add 16sts each round and so on...
 
Hope that helps beginners at circles
Happy Hooking

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the perfect circle tutorial, Sue, that's a keeper. There's nothing like a lovely smooth circle without humps and bumps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, glad it's useful, I was surprised how many didn't know the basic 12, 24, 36, rule of circles
      Hugs x

      Delete
  2. You are amazing, thank you.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metedith, I am amazed by how many don't understand the basic mathematics in crochet.....something I find fascinating and explore a lot when crocheting.
      Thanks hugs x

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much, I wondered why my circles kept going wonky even when following a circle pattern. I never thought to stagger the placement of the double stitches but you've solved this mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, lots of maths behind crochet...a favourite subject when I can see maths in pictures lol
      Thanks x

      Delete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to make such a great tutorial! I am gonna send the link to my DIL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi you're very welcome, love to share the intricacies of crochet...just shout if you need info, if I can help I will
      Thanks x

      Delete
  5. I love the math part of crochet! I am more than familiar with the increasing "rules" of shaping amigurumi... But I have a bit of trouble understanding the exceptions to the rules, such as starting with 16 when leaving a hole. Or attempting a flat circle with rounds that alternate stitches (start with 12 dcs, the a round of hdc, next round sc and so on). Do you have any insight for me? Thank you for being so helpful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi no exact rule when you change stitches I'm afraid.....it's a bit like suck it a see, and lots of unpicking experience will help get it right more often than not.
      Sorry only a simple 12, 24,26,48,60 rule if the stitch is dc every row.
      Hope that helps a bit
      Hugs x

      Delete